[TenTec] Re: A note of caution or a cautionary note

AC5E at aol.com AC5E at aol.com
Fri Apr 25 14:58:25 EDT 2003

Since the broadcast publication of very private information has already
occured,

I do have people who insist on ordering items by E-mail and including credit
card numbers. This is roughly as dangerous as strolling across Hollywood
Boulevard at rush hour. But people will do that. So I insist on cutting their
CC# into fourths, as in
1234  5678 9009 8765, and adding the first and last halves of the expiry date
to the first half, i.e. 123407 and 876505, and mailing me four Emails.

Each E-mail contains one of the parts A-D inclusive - and I can recover the
information at my end with a whole lot less risk to the customers pocketbook.

Sending what should look like gibberish is still not as safe as using a
secure site, but it beats the heck out of no precautions at all.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E