[TenTec] DSP in OMNI VI

AC5E at aol.com AC5E at aol.com
Fri Apr 25 17:25:20 EDT 2003

Hi: the DSP on the VI + or the Option 3 is outstanding. It's been so long
since I had my VI's Optioned I  don't remember how good it was before the
conversion, but I have found very few rigs whose DSP equals the VI+.

One thing that throws a few people off at first is there's just the one
button, NR,  and no knob. However, Ten Tec got it right the first time and
the NR works like a champ each and every time. As does the auto and manual
notch.

The CW filtering is also excellent, and the ability to further narrow the
passband with the PBT control is as handy as a pocket in a shirt.  After
initial setup you won't visit the menus much, but the three menus are very
simple to use. Although you probably want to have the manual in your hand the
first few times you set the Baud rate or some such.

I have loaned the local club a pair of my VI +'s the last few field days and
the main problem was a tendencey to center the manual notch in the audio
passband and then complain it didn't sound good. The second was trying to
copy SSB with 1.8 kHz and either the 250 or 500 Hz filters in. And the third
was twisting the PBT all the way to the end. Aside from those minor operator
problems the rigs have been bulletproof and earned high praise for their
performance.

Audio is quite good with a decent outboard speaker. The one in the power
supply could use some help, and I help mine with a variety of classic
Hallicrafters, National, and Hammurlund speakers. But the 307 also does a
great job.  And the power supply will trip off if the supply voltage gets too
low.  As it did after a couple of hurricanes.

And no, even with the Orion in the #1 operators position you can't have any
of my VI+'s. Maybe when I get ready to upgrade the other positions.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E