[TenTec] DSP reports--suggestion/request

Thomas Jednacz tjednacz at ieee.org
Tue Apr 29 20:39:44 EDT 2003

Hi Jerry, You should hear the DSP Noise Reduction in the Orion. WoW!
Absolutely no distortion of the voice. Wonderful algorithm. There is some
"strange" noise when only the background is present because of the
variability of the noise and type of noise but no distortion on the voice.
It also works well on lightning crashes. For the first time I can copy the
Europeans on 75 SSB with the lightning crashes we get here in Florida.
Signal to noise is enhanced greatly on SSB and CW.

Tom, W7QF

I use my Timewave 599+ with my Corsair II. Its an enhancement even on
SSB sometimes. As for AGC, its AGC will overcome AGC pumping in the
radio at the cost of bringing up the background noise between syllables.
The combination of DSP AGC and noise suppression can give barely
detectable signals a comfortable signal to noise ratio, at the cost of
considerably odd sounding background noise and some damage to the
signal. Its far easier to listen to than to copy that CW 20 db BELOW the
noise level or SSB even with the noise level.

73, Jerry, K0CQ

--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer.
Reproduction by permission only.