[TenTec] Another grounding thought and personal observation

Dudley Hurry jhurry at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 12 14:11:21 EDT 2003

Bob, and group,

I understand the theory, but what actually happens seems to be
unpredictable.

Let me get this straight.    Charge starts to build, from the earth (you can
hear the frying in the guys and tower)  unless there is some way to
dissipate the static build up (corona balls, large dissipation brush, etc)
this charge will continue to build until the charge energy is at such a
large level that the air gap between the earth and clouds arcs over.   Now
on the power end we have the ground and  neutral tied together, meaning that
the grounds and neutral potential are growing very high with respects to the
hot or voltage source..  That seems to be where the electrical components
get zapped..

Would it not be better to have the BEST grounds at the tower, (highesh
point) to dissipate the static charge??  Very large grounding field with as
low impedance as one can achieve, RF grounds for the equipment??

My house was hit directly with the grounds connected, since they have been
disconnected and protected, tower has taken the hits, but not the house..

Personal observation,

Thanks and 73's,
Dudley
WA5QPZ