[TenTec] Grounding question

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 18:57:22 EDT 2003

>Nice flame bait.

It truly wasn't intended to be inflamatory.  I was simply being honest in my
assessment.

>You *could* learn about it.  I'm certainly no expert, and there are short
>white-papers on Polyphaser's web site about the subject.  They aren't
>written in jargon.

I happen to disagree.  I have looked at them in the past and they are
written in the language of the trade and include cryptic initialisms, and
terms like below grade electrodes instead of just simply calling them ground
rods.  That's a poor example for several reasons but it illustrates what I'm
talking about.
It's fine for them to be written that way--I am not saying they should
change because their intended audience is probably professionals.  I'm
simply saying that I have not been able to find straight dope anywhere that
answers a few questions.

>If you are looking for some "rules of thumb" try these:
>1) spend about 15% of the cost of your gear to protect it.
>2) If doing it "right" the first time is difficult, do it incrementally,
>most important parts first.
>3) Don't do anything that'll make things worse.

Thank you for this help.  Also, someone mentioned the ARRL TIS web pages.  I
have not had a chance to read what's there yet, but it looks promising.
Maybe I'll find everything I need to know from them.  Hope so!

73
Rob
K5UJ