[TenTec] argosy finals

Winston F. Jones winjones at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 24 14:36:57 EDT 2003

As I recall, the MRF-477 RF transistors, used in the Argosy, came on the
market only shortly before the Argosy was designed. They were different from
other TO-220 case Motorola transistors in that the emitters (and not the
collectors) were connected to the mounting tab. This meant that the mounting
tab could be directly bolted to the grounded heat sink without the need for
an insulating washer. The MRF-477 was used in an RF amplifier project that
was in the ARRL handbooks during the 90's. I believe the MRF-477 is obsolete
now and is available only in limited stock and at high cost. In its heyday,
you could buy a matched pair for about $30.
73, Winston  K4CWQ