[TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 8, Issue 58

G3JAG G3JAG at patents.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Aug 31 19:24:29 EDT 2003

RE:-  X2404P Serial Eeprom in Omni V (Anthony Bowyer NT4X)

I have been using one of the X24C04 eeproms in my TT 253 auto-ATU for some
time now. I got my first replacement X2404P from TT, but then I bought a bag
of the X24C04P CMOS version from a UK parts house relatively inexpensively.
The 253 ATU already comes with a socket for the chip  ... when the ATU has
had a lot of use it starts to forget what its at and  that is probably the
signal to think about replacing the eeprom. A messy job involving removing
the front panel, but at least TT put a socket in there ...

Yep, the Omni-V has this chip soldered in and I certainly agree that
replacement with a good quality socket is not just advisable, it is essential
because if you ever have to swap the chip out again the PCB is going to be in
a real mess.
Athough I need to do it, I'm not exactly looking forward to it. But when I
switch to 17m after the rig has been switched off for a while, I get either
11-something or 19-something and have to do a lot of button pressing to get
into the the band.
So much for rapid band changes. The ATU gets there long before the Omni-V
does.

John G3JAG