[TenTec] Crystal vs. DSP Filtering

Carl Moreschi n4py at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 2 18:45:26 EST 2003

John,

What you describe is in fact not normal.  When you go to a tighter filter,
the background noise gets less and results in a better signal to noise
ratio.  You should be able to hear weaker signals with tighter filters.  But
you need to tune them in much more carefully.  Also, if you can hear high
pitched signals better, you can move PBT and go to a narrower filter to get
the center of the filter to be higher pitched.

73,

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC