[TenTec] Re Orion on Elecraft's Receiver Summary Page

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 3 14:25:57 EST 2003

KH7M wrote:
 >If all of the above is near "fact", then when using the 1kHz or wider
roofing filters,  you can consider the IP3 and IMD3 numbers to be
5 dB better than the ARRL measured.  However,  again we do not
KNOW what the ARRL test techs did..... they just don't say in the
applicable text discussion,  nor as a footnote to the test data
table.

         Jim, they were using the 1000 Hz filter...not the 500 Hz filter.
When the Expanded Test Report becomes available soon, there should be
more details.  I can't wait to see what IMD and BDR look like at 1
kHz spacings which ARRL publishes in their swept graphs.  IMHO that is
even more typical QRM spacing in most contests.  If someone doesn't
believe this, I invite you to listen during the ARRL 160 Contest this
weekend.  You'll probably hear <500 Hz spacing of S9+20 to 30 dB signals!

         Regarding the K2, it is a great RF design that absolutely puts
YaeComWood to shame in receiver performance (from a $669 kit for the
receiver/160/NB).  My problem with it for contests is purely ergonomics.
My hands and fingers are just too large and my eyesight is not what
it once was.  If someone (Elecraft or Ten-Tec) would put just
their front-end into a simple, ergonomically functional package for
$1500 (no dual RX, general coverage, color displays, yada yada yada),
I believe they would clean the DX'ers and contester market.  I've told
Scott this but he says that is not in Ten-Tec's future for the time
being (of course markets/money talks and "never say never").

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV