[TenTec] Re Orion on Elecraft's Receiver Summary Page

Marijan Miletic, S56A s56a at bit.si
Wed Dec 3 20:07:52 EST 2003

Orion uses the same 4 FET mixer as Yaesu FT1K.  It is followed by fixed gain
Norton amplifier (FGA), two 9 MHz crystals, NB, standard selectable filters
1 - 15 kHz, FGA, optional 250 or 500 Hz filters, FGA etc.  Yaesu goes to two
wider 70 MHz monolitic filters and then AGC MOSFET amplifier.  Close spaced
IMD3 is always tested by RSGB.  It would be quite complex with Orion gain
distribution.  Inband audio response even with 250 Hz filter might be
critical.  Even more so with improper DSP filter functions...

Few years ago I was considering buying CB/10m XCVR in FLA and I studied
schematics at Radioschack store.  Salesman was quite surprised and asked me
if I know how to read diags :-)

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

Disclaimer:  I do not own Orion and have no commercial interest with Tentec.
I just bought FT-1000 MP hit by lightning.