[TenTec] Orion and phase noise

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 19:59:58 EST 2003

I suspect you are missing something. All that sun noise, atmospheric noise, and all the hash and key clicks from other rigs is spread over a lot of kHz. So yes, the background noise level will be greater than it could be and should be. But since the Orion's reciever is so good, most of that noise will not find its way to the operators ears - making life much more pleasant to those fortunate operators who have an Orion now.

I'm not looking at the PROII's test results but as I remember them the reciever rates a high average only. And that was my impression when we had one over for a direct comparison. The Orion dug signals out of the noise we could not copy on the competition. It was also my impression that the PROII's transmitter, like the PRO before it, is far quieter than say, an MP, but it's not the quietest transmitter on the air by any means. And it's certainly not in the same league as the Orion.

And yes, while the ideal would be for every contest station to be equipped with an Orion (happy day - the big guns on 160 might be able to hear my 100 watts to a GAP under their receiver's internal racket) or a Heath or Hallicrafters setup out of the 1950's, it's going to take a while. Both because Orion production is limited - and by the fact that at least some contesters are so wedded to "their brand" that they will wait until their favorites introduce a new world beater rig that will approach, meet, or possibly exceed the new standard of performance. If that takes five years.

But eventually the day will come when the last of those noisy, clicky, hissy QRM machines that infest the bands during contests have been relegated to the early evening ragchewers or are gathering dust on the used equipment shelves. Hasten the day!

Since the bar HAS been raised, and since the Orion's reciever also sets new performance standards, I suspect Amateur Radio will eventually be the better for the improved performance. Until then - we can enjoy the new "big dawg" on the bands.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E