[TenTec] Solid State Amps

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Dec 8 10:29:06 EST 2003

At 09:59 AM 12/8/2003 -0500, J. D. Beischel wrote:
>Ken, I am not sure you are reading the rules correctly.  A manufactured amp
>that is not type accepted may not be commercially sold.  However, it is not
>illegal to use the amp - even if it takes only 4 watts of power and outputs
>500 watts.  I can build that amp myself and use it and it is perfectly legal
>   If I import that amp for my own use I believe I can use it.  They just
>cannot be commercially sold.  This of course all amps have proper spectral
>purity.
>

>JMHI of the rules.
>

>Duffy

Here is a direct quote from FCC part 97.  I think item 5 may answer your
question.

>(b) Any external RF power amplifier or external RF power amplifier kit
>(see §2.815 of the FCC Rules), manufactured, imported or modified for
>use in a station or attached at any station must be certificated for use
>in the
>amateur service in accordance with Subpart J of Part 2 of the FCC Rules.
>This requirement does not apply if one or more of the following conditions
>are met:
>
>      (1) The amplifier is not capable of operation on frequencies below
>      144 MHz. For the purpose of this part, an amplifier will be deemed
>      to be incapable of operation below 144 MHz if it is not capable of
>      being easily modified to increase its amplification characteristics
>      below 120 MHz and either:
>
>           (i) The mean output power of the amplifier decreases, as
>           frequency decreases from 144 MHz, to a point where 0 dB
>           or less gain is exhibited at 120 MHz; or
>
>           (ii) The amplifier is not capable of amplifying signals below
>           120 MHz even for brief periods without sustaining permanent
>           damage to its amplification circuitry.

>(2) The amplifier was manufactured before April 28, 1978, and has
      been issued a marketing waiver by the FCC, or the amplifier was
      purchased before April 28, 1978, by an amateur operator for use at
      that amateur operator's station.

      (3) The amplifier was:

           (i) Constructed by the licensee, not from an external RF
           power amplifier kit, for use at the licensee's station; or

           (ii) Modified by the licensee for use at the licensee's station.

      (4) The amplifier is sold by an amateur operator to another amateur
      operator or to a dealer.

      (5) The amplifier is purchased in used condition by an equipment
      dealer from an amateur operator and the amplifier is further sold to
      another amateur operator for use at that operator's station.

So technically you can't use an non-type accepted amplifier built after
April 28, 1978
if it is bought from a non-ham or from a vendor that bought it from a non-ham.

interesting.
73
Bill wa4lav