[TenTec] Solid State Amplifiers

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Mon Dec 8 10:33:43 EST 2003

Hi All,

My experience with solid state amplifiers on HF is limited to one
amplifier, the SCG SG-500. I bought this amplifier because I was doing
160 meter contest operations from locations that had no commercial grid
power, and I wanted to be able to run significantly more than 100 watts.
At the time I was using a Kenwood TS-440 transceiver, and I had already
converted a Heath SB-201 to operate on 160 meters. The TS-440 has pretty
good QSK and I got used to having QSK. So when I started using the
SB-201, which is not a QSK amplifier, I put together some circuitry to
switch the receive signal around the amplifier and directly to a RX only
antenna jack that I installed on the TS-440. When I got the SG-500, this
same setup worked to give me QSK functionality, with an amplifier that
is not a QSK amplifier.
I never had a problem with the SG-500. It performed as advertised. It
has numerous protection features which prevented me from ever blowing it
up, even though I did occasionally make a few blunders that might have
blown it up without the protection.

One of the protection features that it has is an internal attenuator on
the input, which automatically switches in if you give it too much
drive. With the TS-440 turning down the CAR (RF output) control resulted
in a funny, soft leading edge, CW keying envelope. I might have been
able to make some tweaks to the ALC on the TS-440 to make it sound right
at 50 watts output, and then I probably would not be able to use it at
100 watts anymore. So I built a power attenuator. A bunch of 2 watt
carbon composition resistors in a T configuration made about 2.5 dB
attenuation. Putting it in a one quart paint can full of mineral oil
made it handle the power nicely.

The other thing that was a lot of work, was finding and carrying a power
supply system that will provide the 100 amperes peak that the SG-500
needs. I used many different combinations of multiple paralleled power
supplies and batteries. I always made it work. It was always a hassle
though.

The SG-500 is not the perfect amplifer for me, however I must say that
it is an excellent product, which does what the manufacturer says it
will do. I still have it, because someday I plan on using it for a
mobile setup. I am really curious to find out how susceptable to RF some
of the high power car audio systems on the streets are.

Now I have an Omni VI and a Titan. The QSK is much better, and it puts
out the legal limit. And the setup is much less complicated than the
kludge that I had put together to make the SG-500 work the way I wanted
it to.

Ken N6KB