[TenTec] Re: [Orion] MODE Changes on ORION

john, ke5c ke5c at hot.rr.com
Wed Dec 10 08:33:10 EST 2003

> How is everyone getting the MODE to track properly (automatically?)
> between the Main/Sub receivers when :

i don't think there is a way to have the mode track right now.  i wish they
would offer that as an option in future firmware.  most of the time you will
want both receivers in the same mode.  i suppose in something like the 10
meter contest you might listen ssb with one receiver and cw with the other,
but i think that is the exception, not the rule.

> 1:  Changing from Phone to CW  (Is it best to set up the front panel
> USER memories I.E.  #1 for all CW use and #2 for SSB use to resolve
> this problem?)

you could do this, but when you recall, you will also recall the frequency
which was active when you did the save, and that may well necessitate you
then changing the frequency of each receiver which is much more work than
changing the mode.

> 2: Using diversity reception with both receivers on VFOA (for
> example), and I switch modes, I still have to go to sub-rcvr menu to
> set the proper mode.
>     (If Sub is not already in the mode I last switched to)

exactly.

> 3: Pressing the A/B button to set up for split operation.

exactly.

> I know there has to be a better way than what I'm running into now!
> Very latest firmware is loaded.

exactly.  maybe if enough owners would ask, they might offer mode tracking
as an option in the receiver menu as they do for bw and pbt now.

> Maybe I've just been lucky until expanding usage into "diversity
> reception" where the problem really shines!!

in diversity mode i usually set up the transmitter on vfoa and both
receivers on vfob.  that gives a receiver rit functionality.  otherwise,
changing the rit on one receiver does just that, and you have a frequency
offset between the two.  so another option i'd like is to have rit track
also, or better, in the receiver menu have a diversity option.  when that is
on, bw, pbt, mode, and rit all track.

73, john