[TenTec] Ground rods thru the basement floor?

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 10 17:24:26 EST 2003

I know in North Carolina, basements were often set on rock fill.  Not easy
for driving rods.   The outside the basement perimeter wire ground
eliminates the water ingress issue of a driven rod.  Capillary forces can
overcome the best waterproofing schemes.  Most basements provide some path
to the outside above grade that can be converted for passing ground bonding
and feeders.

I am envious of those with ground or basements above soft materials that
would allow 8 feet to be driven when you are 8 feet below grade or more to
start!   We hit rock at as little as 18 inches here in Central TX.
Horizontal wires and rods are the only practical ways to go here.

-Stuart
K5KVH