[TenTec] RE: Power Supply & Equip. grounding

James Duffer dufferjames at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 10 19:35:50 EST 2003

Snip

>Even better than braid in a lightning dissipation strap is wide flat copper
>strap.
>
>Braid could explode if struck at a tower with a direct hit.

Now I wonder why the FAA specifies "woven lightning down leads" rather than
solid conductors.  This lightning protection is located on the long range
radars radome.  Several lightning rods (with very sharp points are locate
around the external surface of the  radome.  These are connected to a
ciruclar ring of woven cable which has a couple of woven down leads that
eventuall connect to the tower down lead which is also woven wire (this is
some pretty big wire and the "strands" are pretty healthy size.  For some
reason solid coductors were prohibited.......

73, de wd4air