[TenTec] Re: Orion IP2 numbers

Jim Reid res0i390 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 12 14:55:24 EST 2003

> Jim,

> Seems your upset because the ip2 numbers didnt beat
> the K2, HI.

Nope,  not at all! Why,  because,  as do you,  I don't think
the IP2 number represents anything of importance to
users of the Orion,  unless there is something about the
design that IS allowing out of band signals to get in and
cause such tested results.  As the data did not change
under the condition of the preamp being by passed,  it
really causes me to be suspicious of the meaning,  hi.
Another thing that could have been done would have
been to add 6dB of the Orion available signal attenuation--
but I do not know where that takes place in the Orion,
somewhere in the early front end to be useable.

> I think 6 and 8 mhz were picked to simulate
> SW broadcast IMD.

I think they were picked because they sum to the ARRL
lab test frequency they use for ALL other rig tests, namely
14.02,  and that the same input test 6 and 8MHz signals
were used in testing the K2 and all other rigs.

And, I believe they ignored the fact that the Orion Main rcvr
has band pass filters,  passing only ham band frequencies
into the front end of that rig.  Does the K2 have ham band-
pass  filters at the front end to allow only the range of
frequencies for a selected band into the front end components?

I don't think a test of the Orion main rcvr,  using test signals
at 6 and 8 MHz can possibly indicate anything meaningful
about that rcvr's performance,  that's all.  And if it is showing
us something meaningful about the Orion,  what is it??
Maybe that the front end band pass filters are not providing
the out-of-band rejection intended.....now that would be
very meaningful,  if such is the case.  But if so,  those
filters should be measured.

And why isn't the spec closer to what Ten Tec measured:
probably because TT did not use those out of band test
frequencies,  and probably used frequencies similar to
what I have suggested in my other previous posts on the
matter.  I am sure TT has in mind a meaningful signal pair
for the claimed IP2 numbers given in their data for the Orion.

73,  Jim  KH7M