[TenTec] Paragon Spurs

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Dec 16 01:50:22 EST 2003

Hi Bill,

I checked my Paragon tonight with the VFO set to 1813.00 KHz.
The high-level close-in spurs that I saw on the 7MHz spectrum
are gone with this setting, but I am still seeing low-level discrete
spurs which in this case are at approximately +/-12.4 KHz offset
from the carrier. These spurs are about 25dB above the thermal
noise floor of my FT-847 and R4C which is similar to the levels
that I saw for the low level spurs on the Paragon's 7 MHz spectrum
(e.g. about 80dB below the carrier). There were some other spurs
that showed up on the FT-847, but I couldn't find them on the R4C,
so I'll have to assume that they were generated inside the FT-847.
As before, the input signal level to both of the receivers was set to
~-30dBm (S9+40dB).

It's interesting that the spurs you are seeing from your neighbors
Paragon repeat every 10KHz. I wonder, do they fall off in level
as you move away from the carrier (e.g. are the +/-20 KHz, +/-30
KHz, ...... spurs the same strength or do they get weaker as "N"
goes up)? If these are synthesizer reference spurs, its quite
possible that there is a fix for this. It might be worth a call to TT
service.

P.S. You need to invite your neighbor over to play with the Orion.
Who knows maybe you'll get him hooked :):)