[TenTec] Re: E-HAM Reviews

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 16 12:54:10 EST 2003

Hi Mario,

S56A wrote:
W4ZV, with all due respect, I wouldn't take K1UO result on CQ WW CW on 160 m
as a high praise to undisputed Orion RX capabilities!
This is such a small single sample: 160:  172    18       62

         Well we differ on this.  KC1XX had 160:  200    19       58

KC1XX is in NH and K1UO is in Maine (neighboring state), so location
was not a huge difference.  KC1XX has a 3 element parasitic array on
a hill for 160, K1UO has a single vertical.  KC1XX had full access to
spots for both multipliers and new stations, K1UO was unassisted single
operator.  Anyone who comes even close to KC1XX in ANY DX contest on ANY
band is doing very well indeed!  Take a look here and you'll see why:

http://www.kc1xx.com/

 >I often laugh on Eham reviews but I consider them as a good cross-section
of USA hams feelings today.

         eHam reminds me of Garrison Keilor on a USA radio program where
the mythical community is Lake Wobegone, and ALL children are "above
average".  As you observed for eHam, everybody's radio is "above
average".  However, in the real world, only some are at the top of contest
results...

 >I can't find any good argument to dispute 35/20 top marks of 5.0 to old
JA rigs IC765/IC781.

         Here are two good arguments IMHO:

1.  IMDDR3:  http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

IC-781's IMD degrades 20 dB from 20 kHz to 2 kHz spacings.

2.  BDR:  http://dayton.akorn.net/pipermail/tentec/2003-November/039416.html

W0YG:  "I used to own a Icom 781.  I could not get within perhaps 25 KHz
of my 1.5KW neighbor because he pumped my AGC and I pumped his."
(...and with Orion) "I can eliminate his annoying presence within 800
cycles of my frequency."

 >I learnt a new meaning of the word "fluff" thanks to TT forum!

         Fluff means unsubstantiated opinion to me.  As someone once said,
"Opinions are like *ssholes...we all have one."  But whether they mean
anything is another issue entirely!  ;-)

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV