[TenTec] spectrum hogs / RE:Jerry

KD7EFQ at aol.com KD7EFQ at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 08:52:46 EST 2003

Hi Jerry, From what I understand, there is no carved in stone law by the FCC (yet) on width. However, from all of the old timers that were hamming long before I was born, 2.8 is the maximum politically correct (hi hi) SSB bandwidth, with 2.4 being the average. With the low bands (75 & 40 ) they do get pretty crowded when they stretch out at night, and it really gets annoying to deal with the "Donald Duck" sounds off to the sides. This problem is amplified with the widebanders. Of course, if you politely ask them to move if they moved in on you, you just get cussed and ignored.

It all boils down to wether you want to be a good operator, or a LID. Courtesy and consideration for your fellow operator is part of the amateur code. But in todays selfish, self - centered society, Courtesy is becoming extinct. 73.