[TenTec] Re: Highlights of German Orion Review

Marijan Miletic, S56A s56a at bit.si
Mon Dec 22 21:37:29 EST 2003

Disclaimer: I have translated this to the best of my ability and

believe it reflects the jest of the message portrayed. I take no

responsibility for errors in translation and or interpretation. -

Rick Westerman, DJ0IP / NJ0IP

* The effectiveness of the selectable roofing filters to

eliminate the undesirable signals immediately after the first

mixer is a invaluable advantage.

*** They never looked at diags! There are two crystals wide filter, NB and
then selectable filters!

* The very clean transmit signal resulting from the low phase noise.

*** TX signal is very dirty due to DSP generated artificial IMD components.

* The powerful DSP (audio adjustments) together with the wider

filters enable hi-fidelity SSB (for the ever increasing number of

followers of this fad)

*** Hi-Fi has nothing to do with DSP!

* In the summary at the end, they are particularly enthused by

the 40m RX performance (they insinuate that the ORION is the only

rig that can still copy weak signals with the Preamp switched on,

without generating any unwanted signals of its own).

*** Only the idiot would do that!

Negative:

* Boot-up time is 13 seconds.

*** Not bad compared with PC Windows systems :-)

* Attempting to save more than 500 or 600 characters into the cw

memory results in a processor crash requiring turning the rig off

and on.

*** Getting closer to Windows standards!

I am sure FA beats CQ test report even without any numbers.

Season's greetings & 73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU