[TenTec] Re: Highlights of German Orion Review

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Tue Dec 23 21:46:56 EST 2003

> Hey guys, how about BAL on the IBM 1401, way before DEC was even
> heard of... OR how about Control Panel wiring ( programming??) on the
> old IBM tabulators. It was great fun!

For once .. I have to agree.  I cut my teeth on an IBM 1620, and an
incredible research machine (at Rice University) called the R-1 -- with
electrostatic memory and more 12AU7's than most of us have ever seen
in one place.  Fine machines.   Great fun!

In many ways it's like old radios (of which I'm very fond).  You can't
complain much about the performance of modern boxes like the Orion (to
keep this sort of T-T related), but there's no where near the absolute
visceral reaction to a modern all in the box rig that there was working
some DX on a DX-20 and BC-455 with a dipole about a foot above the
roof line ... :-)

Grant/NQ5T