[TenTec] Orion tuning rates

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Wed Dec 24 14:58:28 EST 2003

My Orion arrived yesterday evening and is up and running and looking
good.  Early days yet but there's already a lot I like about this
radio.  I do have one area that I am struggling with currently.  I don't
seem to be able to get to a comfortable tuning rate for the VFO.

Right out of the box it tuned with a step size of 100 Hz which for
tuning CW stations was clearly no good at all.  The step menu gives
optional step sizes of 1/10/1k/5k/10k/100k  Hz.  I find that only the 1
Hz step size gives a smooth feel to the tuning.  i.e. my ear cannot
discern a step change and the radio sounds like it is controlled by a
linear vfo.  Even at 10 Hz the tuning sounds steppy.   I have therefore
set it at 1 Hz but the number of steps per revolution are very limited
so that causes a problem.  Even with the VFO-A encoder rate in the Other
menu set to High, it only shifts 250 Hz per revolution.  At the default
Slow rate it's only 62.5 Hz per revolution.  I can't think what
application would require this kind of rate..

Am I missing a beat here?

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F