[TenTec] Orion tuning rates - Further thoughts

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Thu Dec 25 21:21:54 EST 2003

I have for the moment settled on using a step size of 10 Hz, which with
the Fast encoder rate set, gives me 2.5 kHz per dial revolution.  As
several of you suggested, this proves reasonably practical for CW use.

However.....

I still have concerns about the steppy nature of the tuning, which
although it isn't something that will cause any kind of receive
capability problem per se,  it does seriously cheapen the feel of  the
radio IMO.  I have made some comparisons with a TS870 and an FT1000MP
here in the shack.  I set-up both of these radios to operate with a step
size of 10 Hz.  On tuning either radio very slowly I can hear the 10 Hz
transitions, as indeed I can on the Orion.  The difference is this:-
When tuning the TS870 & the FT1000MP rather more quickly through a
carrier the step changes are really not noticeable and the radio has the
feel of having a linear VFO.  If I do the same with the Orion, very
noticable steps are audible and the step size appears much larger than
10 Hz.  Currently, I'm thinking this problem looks to have rather more
to do with settle time than it does step size.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F