[TenTec] K2/100, Orion review

Art Searle w2nra at birdsandbeacons.com
Thu Dec 25 20:39:12 EST 2003

Paul wrote:
> As a practical matter, Orion's slight shortening on the
first keyed element
> is not perceived to the listener, provided that all
remaining elements in
> the keyed series are of normal length.

I don't see why you all are making such a big deal about
this.  Looking at the Keying Waveform in the Expanded Report
(which is calibrated at 10 ms divisions) the foreshortening
is about 40% at 60 wpm.  Would it be fair to assume that at
30 wpm the foreshortening might only be 20%?  I doubt it you
could hear that.

Yuri wrote:
>. . . but you could send code with your foot switch . . .

Yes, but only if you use your left foot!  :)

73,
Art
W2NRA

PS And I don't have to defend the Orion; I don't own one.