[TenTec] Headphone clicks

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 25 22:55:46 EST 2003

>If you use 32 ohm or higher impedance headphones, you won't
>hear the click. I was just suggesting a way for you to continue to
>use the same headphones. I don't have the click in my headphones
>at all.  They are 32 ohm headphones.

If 32 ohms is the common 'standard' fine ... if not then this is a design
issue ... and a tragic oversight which leads to discussions such as
this ... if 'X' ohms is the more common 'standard' found in most shacks,
then that should have been a consideration of the design standard.

Recall at first, the TT response was that there was NO problem. <sigh>

At least TT did back off of that statement and then offer other alternatives
including changing the design of their production specs as of 05/30/03.

See .... http://www.rfsquared.com/Orion/sd565-01.pdf  for details.

One of the never ending questions as to designs and standards is always
going to be ... Do we hold up production to get it as close to spec as we
can? ... or ... Do we release it, and make any running changes as needed?

I have been part of such decision making processes, and they are not fun.
You never have the perfect knowledge you need, and even with the use of
such tools as design and process FMEA ... 'bad stuff' still can slip by you.

<FMEA = Failure Mode and Effects Analysis>

That's what much of this boils down to, it's driven by simple economics
and marketplace demands. The Orion/SDR represents running changes.

Is this perfect? No, but this IS better than TT not releasing the Orion
until every possible problem or point of failure had been addressed.

To their credit, Ten Tec did not chose a very common third option ... ignore
the reality and hope it just goes away ... sadly too many vendors today use
a similar rule for much of their 'customer support' for too many items.

Happy Holidays to ALL,

73 Billy AA4NU