[TenTec] ORION first element shortening & headphone clicks

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Fri Dec 26 05:14:01 EST 2003

FWIW I relate my experience in this area to date, with the Orion I have
here.

I am very much a CW man and most of my operating is on that mode.
Although one might think that with a full QSK rig the transition to the
first character element should be identical to the transition to all
subsequent character elements, I have yet to see the rig that confirms
this hypothesis.

Concerning clicks in the headphones I observe the following.  If I send
at speeds upto 20 wpm there is a very noticeable click in the headphones
at the start of every character element.  In practice I rarely send at
those speeds and find that at greater speeds the clicking is less
noticeable.  This is because at greater speeds the Orion is not fully
reverting between elements to whatever state it was in before I
commenced keying.  I am pretty sure those of you with an Orion will be
able to witness the effect I am describing here quite easily.
Incidentally, I am using an external keyer, as I am rather attached to
Logikey functionality.  All you need to do is listen in your phones when
you send a string of dots at say 15 wpm and again when you send a string
of dots at 30 wpm.  Chalk & Cheese!  I am sure you will agree there must
be some inter element transition takiing place at lower speeds that
isn't at higher ones.  I guess if I regularly sent at sub 20wpm speeds I
might find the clicking to be really irritating.

Concerning first character element shortening, I am puzzled by the ARRL
findings.  I like to engage in QSK rag chewing at speed from time to
time.  When I operate my Orion at 50 wpm I am unable to perceive any
first element shortening by ear.  Intuitively, I feel that if shortening
was as marked as the ARRL test suggests, I would be able to perceive
it.  I don't have a storage scope so I can't easily do any more
substantial a check on this.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F