[TenTec] Headphone clicks

Jason Buchanan jsb at digistar.com
Fri Dec 26 16:49:29 EST 2003

Jim Reid wrote:
>>I use a pair of AKG K 240 DF 600ohm headphones.
>
> Going to the web site you give shows that they come
> with the mini-stereo connector plus an adapter to the
> standard 1/8" phono jack.

Yeah, some of that new fangled stuff, mini-stereo - hi.  Mine have the
standard 1/4" stereo plug, not a 1/8" plug, however I think because the
manufacturers these days are trying to cater to the walkman crowd
they've started building everything with the 1/8" plug and ship a 1/4"
adapter.

> But,  no indication that these phones are,  in fact,  stereo
> as required for an Orion.  Are they?

Oh yes - they're definitely stereo.  You can go right from your home
stereo to your Orion or Jupiter with no hassle.

> Where would you buy them,  price?

zZounds.com has them for $130 with free shipping.  I have bought a bunch
of other stuff from them before and been very satisfied with their service.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKGK240DF

by the way...  it's important to keep in mind that headphones that are
great for music aren't always equally good for use on ham radio.  I have
a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones that are absolutely awesome for
music but - in my opinion - are not the best for ham radio.

CW signals that have short rise and fall times turn into thumpy DC
clicks that drive me up the wall.  This thumpy click seems to be
enhanced by headphones that excel in low end reproduction.  Sennheiser
HD600 headphones are made to reproduce ultra low frequencies very well
where the K240DF stops around 20Hz which seems to help.

73 Jason N1SU