[TenTec] Delta or Delta 2 specifications?

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Sat Dec 27 13:28:03 EST 2003

HI Paul: I have no experience with the original Delta, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Delta 2 - and the young fellow I gave mine to still does.

A very nice rig, with, as with all rigs, a few of those peculiarites some consider warts. Of course, every receiver is a box of compromises, and some of those are certain to offend someone.

Both the receiver and transmitter worked well - and were in practice very comparable to the original Paragon.

The "Jones filter" worked well for me, but the testers at the ARRL didn't like it. I suspect sales suffered as a result and the DII had a comparatively short production life. Power was a bit over 200 watts DC input to the finals to get 100 watts or so of RF out.

The display was the one whose maker has quit making, and that is currently difficult to find. There are several work arounds - mostly involving trimming a larger EP to fit - but even if the display is out entirely the rig is still usable in bright light. Although it's a bit strange to keep a flashlight by the rig to read the display by.

Would I buy another? Yes, if I did not have almost a dozen rigs left after the latest round of shack cleaning.

Beyond that, I will let others on the list have their say.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E