[TenTec] K2/100, Orion review

NZ8J nz8j at woh.rr.com
Sat Dec 27 16:28:15 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <K3BU at aol.com>
To: <tentec at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] K2/100, Orion review

> We will see if TenTec will address the comments and suggestions from
> contesters, and become #1 radio, or will continue things as usual. Rare
opportunity,
> should not be missed.
>
> One thing should be realized, that contesters are the ones buying high end
> radios, you will find at least two, more like 5 radios in a contester's
shack.
> Who you gona listen to, those with multitude of radios or those with
lifetime
> savings invested in one box used for that Sunday QSK ragchew or traffic
net
> operator.
>
> Back to finish the review.
>
> 73  Yuri, oK3BU

Yuri,
I would suggest that there are more than a few folks who would fit a
category
between the two extremes you so eloquently described.  I am not a contester,
but certainly did not use my life savings to buy the Orion or to use it
solely for traffic nets or Sunday QSK ragchews.  I can't speak for others on
this reflector, but this endless diatribe about contesting and the pro's and
con's
of using the Orion for contesting really belongs on a contesting reflector
where it might get the
attention it deserves and gather more support to present to Ten Tec if that
is the intended purpose of this discussion.
The merits of PTT for contesting and the inability of the Orion to currently
provide that feature seems to have
 run it's course and from reading the latest postings there appears to be
nothing constructive  left to say about the subject.
It's obvious from the relatively limited number of individuals who are
continuing this discussion that it
isn't a hot button issue for the majority of the folks on this reflector.
The Orion certainly isn't perfect,
 but I will say it surely stirs the emotions of folks on both sides of the
discussion, kind of reminds me of politics...
Happy Holidays
Tim
NZ8J