[TenTec] Orions & contesting

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Tue Dec 30 11:51:51 EST 2003

Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales wrote:

>> (KR2Q)  But I will say that the PTT on cw is probably the first issue
>> mentioned by
>> many serious contesters
>
> (W4PA)  We don't agree that it's a shortfall - and it's not something
> that will be
> changed with the Orion.

No sign of "We have no plans to....", corporate diplomacy here; Scott's
comment is robust and unequivocal.  Folks can just make up their own
minds about whether this is a show stopper for them.  Already owning an
Omni VI+, I had no expectations that the Orion would have PTT/MOX
capability for CW.  So my mind was made up on this issue, before I
liberated the moths from my wallet in order to make my investment in an
Orion.

> (W4PA)  I take the criticism of the Orion in the spirit intended, but
> nothing is
> going to dissuade me that this is the best radio ever created for serious
> radio contesting.

Scott; I was pleased though unsurprised, to read this.  After all, you
are the Orion product manager.  If you weren't sold on just how good it
is, the rest of us would have real cause for concern.  I am sure you
will accept that it will take the kind of experience of Orion that can
only be gained with useage and time, before the rest of us might be
convinced to share your confidence.

Meantime, I'm having a whole lot of fun learning Orion here.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F