[TenTec] Orions & contesting

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Tue Dec 30 09:44:13 EST 2003

Scott, W4PA writes:
>>And peer opinion is the most important factor of all.  More important
than specs, facts, data or anything else about a given transceiver.<<
and....

>>We don't agree that it's a shortfall - and it's not something that will be
changed with the Orion.  We've done this on purpose, just as we have with
each Ten-Tec transceiver that's come before it. <<

and then ....

>>I take the criticism of the Orion in the spirit intended, but nothing is
going to dissuade me that this is the best radio ever created for serious
radio contesting.<<

In view of the above question arises:
What is the purpose of turning PTT line on Mike connector into CW Keying
line? To be able to send CW with foot switch or use microphone PTT button to send
CQ TEST at 40 wpm?
Sure looks to me like extra effort was needed to make the switchover of
function, rather than leaving it to be PTT for both CW and SSB.

There is something fishy with the logic above, yea, we want your opinion, but
no, we will not listen to you and spend 5 cents on restoring the PTT function
on mike connector. Just like IBM back then with chicklet keyboard? "We know
what is best for you, you need chicklet keys in alphabetical order." Didn't
fly.

"Best radio ever created for serious radio contesting?" Maybe in some
respects, maybe still has some deficiencies that will make contesters shy from
filling the shacks with Orion as it was with previous TT radios, regardless of their
"superiority." Elecraft $800 radio is awfully close in important specs and
can hear weak signals that Orion could not.

I like to see American manufacturer to dominate my shack, TenTec is known for
good service and responsiveness to comments and requests, but this attitude
as displayed above makes me wonder. If I was Scott and TenTec, I would listen
to those "idiots" and put that piece of wire to keep PTT on the mike connector,
to keep that bunch happy and put the Orion on few more tables. Maybe you
don't know everything and 5 cents is very small price to pay for showing that you
listen and care, rather than "we know better."

Just to underline:
Advantages of having and using PTT control line on CW:
1. Smoother, not chopped up CW characters.
2. Positive control over timing, control of linears, and other gizmos in SO2R
setups.
3. Saves relays.
4. Eliminates QSK chatter, noise between characters when not wanted.
5. Maintains wiring, continuity, functionality between SSB and CW modes.

Disadvantages:
0. NONE

Cost:
Leave the PTT wire where it is on SSB, none.

Reasons so far given for not implementing it by TenTec?
"We know better that you don't need it!"

Maybe something wrong with my head, but doesn't make much sense to me and few
other contesters who got Orions and find this feature needed and missing.
If the radio is perfect, then fugettaboutit and worship it!

73  Yuri, K3BU