[TenTec] Re: ORION headphone clicks - the fix!

WA3FIY wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Tue Dec 30 11:52:18 EST 2003

There's been a lot of discussion about the "click" when running
QSK CW.   Not surprising, as the receiver AGC is reset during
the transmission of each element.  When switching from
transmit to receive, the RX is at full gain for the amount of
time it takes the AGC to respond, hence lots of noise,
apparently interpreted as a "click".

I am not familiar with the Orion programmable AGC functions
but I have been using the RF Gain to advantage on all my Ten
Tec's for a couple decades now.   I find a clear frequency,
adjust the RF Gain for a noticable but not loud background
noise and I enjoy quiet, comfortable QSK and I will hear any
signal that is at or above noise level.    Try playing with the RF
Gain control.

Regarding the resistors in headphone circuits, by all means do
it!   Not only to reduce background noise but also to protect
your hearing!!!

If you use low impedance 'phones unprotected, you can easily
get potentially damaging sound levels if you are not careful.  I
put a resistor in the phone plug for each set of phones I use.
The resistor is selected such that when the radio is producing
nearly full volume in the speaker, the headphone volume is loud
but not uncomfortably so.  The resistor value will depend on
headphone impedance, sensitivity and output from the
transceiver but will typically be in the range of a few hundred
ohms to one thousand ohms or so.  I use only one resistor
because I am deaf in my left ear.  For stereo phones and with
both ears working you would use two resistors of course.

The manufacturer cannot do this very effectively since they
have no way of knowing the headphone impedance being used,
the sensitivity of the headphones or the hearing ability of the
listener.   Much better to customize you own setup.

73,

-Lee-