[TenTec] Herc II troubles

Michael Melland, W9WIS w9wis at charter.net
Tue Dec 30 16:57:56 EST 2003

Perhaps a stuck closed vac relay ?  The vaccuum relays have been known to
fail..... They are getting hard to find and if I remember right Ten-Tec was
selling what replacements they had for $250 or so (plus installation and
shipping if you have them do it).  I have heard of being able to reverse
polarity of the relay to perhaps get a temporary fix ???  Someone with more
knowledge then me will no doubt fill in the gaps here....

It is possible to buy a new Kilovac HC-1 replacement relay unused via the
surplus route for about $25 from Scott at American Milspec
http://www.american-milspec.com/p851.html .  I'm not aware of any circuit
changes but some may be needed as I don't "think" it's a drop in
replacement.  I "think" the originals are Jennings RJ1-A or maybe it's the
other way round.... I can'r remember just what is in there.

Mike, W9WIS