[TenTec] How We Buy Things

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Wed Dec 31 15:52:20 EST 2003

> Grant, thanks so much for the sage advice.    I happen to be in test
> drive mode, also happen to have plunked down my $$ and luckily for
me
> the radio hasn't shipped.

Well, even if it had, you have 30 days to make up your mind in person.
There aren't many things you can do that with.

> A key difference between radios and cars....   not all of us can test
> drive a radio.

But you CAN -- ally ally in free (well, shipping excepted)

> I suppose you find this whole PTT discussion laughable.

Actually, no.  I think both sides of the aisle have points on this one.  But
how many times do they need to be made?  I think it would be a useful
feature -- because I'm also used to it, but I'm not wed to it either and it's
no make or break in the buying decision.

It's the vitriole and the unwillingness to just give it up that I find .. well ..
laughable ..  isn't really the best term, but this is a public reflector :-)  And
that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not I agree with either
position, or how I feel about PTT, or whatever the issue du jour is.

It just keeps getting beaten.  T-T has been pretty clear on it, and it still
keeps getting beaten.  So the next thing I expect to see on CNN is a
video of a crazed looking group of guys who havn't slept for 48 hours,
with two days of stubble, a glazed look in their eyes, wearing two sets of
headphones and whistling "FIVE NINE IDAHO" in CW under their breath,
holding some T-T employees hostage until T-T gives in, recalls all the
Orions, and redesigns the radio....:-)

> All I want is the damn turn signals to work like I expect them
> to!

Turn signals usually work in a standard way.  Just once ...  I'd like to get
into an unfamiliar rental car and not have to spend 10 minutes making
sure I know how to turn on the windshield wipers if it starts raining at
night, and whether high beams are push or pull :-)

Happy New Year to everyone ....
Grant/NQ5T