[TenTec] Ten Tec Corsair II Use in Europe

Tim Heasman tim at g4lmh.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Feb 1 12:56:16 EST 2003

Hi Guys,

Forty metres is my favourite band and I was so impressed with the performance of Ten Tec equipment from 7 to 7.1 MHz in our radio environment that I purchased a Corsair II when they were first imported to the U.K.
All my previous radios, except the old AR 88D needed 20 dB of attenuation hear any amateur stations on 40m in the evenings.
I was also amazed with the QSK and did not I think was transmitting until I looked at the power output meter, and the lack of signal loss when the c.w filters were used.
This radio was passed onto my dad when I bought an Omni V.  Since the Omni V I have not been tempted by any other radio as I could not believe that they could perform any better on 40m.  Since my father's death the Corsair is back, and currently is the preferred radio.
I also have a R-4C which is does not seem to perform as well as the Corsair II.  However, the R-4C is not one of the best examples.  I purchased it for about $80 and was deaf as a post.
Yes, Ten Tec radios have a few niggles like a few birdies and noise blankers which seem difficult to adjust, but for 40m operation with the adjacent broadcast stations a maximum 100 kHz away from the received signal I have not found a radio to beat them.  Unfortunately, we now have no support for Ten Tec transceivers in the U.K., and therefore not popular hear, even though they are user serviceable.

73

Tim G4LMH