[TenTec] News from Orlando?

Jeff Griffin kb2m at comcast.net
Sun Feb 9 19:29:55 EST 2003

 I was there, and played with the Orion for about 15 minutes. It wasn't
hooked up to an antenna. The level of the firmware in the demo Orion was ver
1.030x dated January 31,2003.
The rig takes about 10 second's to boot up. just like my 756 PRO. It has a
nice, business only look/feel to it. All switch-craft and knob's had a
smooth linear feel to them. Switches light up when on/selected.  I went into
the menu's and found all is straight forward. I noticed one apparent bug,
the noise reduction only appeared to work on VFO A. The written spec's call
for the NR to work on both VFO's. It was sure nice to see that  a 0 to 9 NR
range will be available! I can't wait to hear it on receive. The box was
about the size of a 1000d, weight 24 pounds. The rig has a nice solid feel
to it.
 Hey, I would take delivery now. The factory can finalize the firmware, and
post an update. I'm ready...

73 Jeff kb2m