[TenTec] Corsair II sidetone

Don Rasmussen wb8yqj at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 08:19:23 EST 2003

Hi Guys,

I love the sidetone too, I just wish I could adjust
the pitch of my IC756p. Of course it can be done, but
you also change the pitch of the received signal
(location in passband). That then affects the DSP
algorythm that changes the entire range of receive
audio - yikes. Truth be told, when I got my first
Corsair II I thought it was the most unconventional
and peculiar transceivers I had ever encountered - I
hated it. From the DC switch that doesn't handle 20a
of current to the CW "pop" from the audio derived AGC,
I just didn't "get it". Well, I found an Airpax for
the switch and later dialed out 90% of the "pop". That
AGC still leaves a small amount of pop on very strong
signals, but that scheme just leaves fewer layers
between your ears and the signal. The radio is just
exceptionally fun to listen to. On the SSB side,
adding an Inrad 2.8 provides audio fidelity that is
just beyond description. I'm sure that many of the
Corsair guys understand what I'm saying, the sidetone
and the radio are something different, but once you
get passed that fact there is a huge amount of radio
fun on the other side.

73,
de WB8YQJ/6