[TenTec] Jupiter Noise Reduction

K5QM k5qm at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 15 12:20:15 EST 2003

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James C. Owen, III
  To: tentec at contesting.com
  Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2003 11:46 AM
  Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Noise Reduction

  Hi Bill,

  --- Bill Brannick <wmlb at attbi.com> wrote:
  > I have found that the noise  reduction (NR button) to be very
  effective on the random atmospheric noise.

  It does a good job but I generally don't like the "digital" sound
  it imparts to the audio, I usually keep mine off. Also it will
  eliminate the weak stations since it thinks that they are noise.

  > Something  I have not played with at all is the "Noise Blanker"
  >  My assumption is that the noise blanker is intended to combat
  man made stuff, like ignition noise, power line> noise, etc.

  That's exactly what it's suppose to do and does it very well.

  > I am  thinking that the Noise Reduction (DSP) function and the
  noise blanker  function  are NOT related. Is this correct?

  Yes that's correct though both eliminate noise just different
  types.

  > Also has anyone figured out  the differences between the 8
  different values that you can set the noise blanker for.. ? Maybe
  has to do with the pulse length of the noise????

  I'm not sure if it controls pulse length or rate but it sets the
  level at which it reaches maximum blanking. Unlike the blanker on
  the Corsair II it works great and NEVER induces any broadband
  noise  on the audio. I usually leave mine ON and set to maximum
  (8).

  73 Jim K4CGY