[TenTec] OT- RE: Extra Lite and in praise of Elmers

tlogan7 at cox.net tlogan7 at cox.net
Sun Feb 23 10:29:22 EST 2003

Hi folks -
  Sunday morning coffee time and I thought I would  chime in on this topic.
I agree with some of John's thoughts. Many of  us are new to the hobby - 2
and 1/2 years for myself. I do not have the time to become competent with
all of the RF design and electrical basics that many Hams with 30 years
experience have. A fellow once said that there are about 40 sub-specialties
in the Ham world from code to antenna design to DXing etc. One cannot do
them all. I got a short Extra vanity call (NZ7C) because it is a good
practical call for cw use. My chosen area of interest is cw and becoming a
solder jockey (ie an assembler, but NOT an understanding technician). With a
full time job and a primary hobby of Scottish fiddling, it is simply not
possible to gain the knowledge level that many of the great folks on the
Elecraft, Ten Tec and other reflectors have....that's why it is so great
when they help us "Extra-Lites (chuckle)" out.
  In my area of chosen interest I DO learn. I  was actually able to copy in
my head the other night at 24wpm  - in my world this rates as a significant
accomplishment and I will keep working until I can copy 35wpm. So, it's not
that many of us newer Hams are lazy or "have it easy" because of the change
in testing. we are just working with what was there when we got interested
in Ham radio. There are people on these reflectors whose professional
careers as well as avocations are both in electronics (my livelihood has
nothing to do with electronics). Only a small number of them will belittle
seemingly stupid questions from newbies with an Extra license. The others
are great and patient Elemrs that are a true tribute to this hobby. People
like  Tom, Gary, Ron, Frank, George, Adam and the list goes on and on....are
really troopers for us newbies and you only have to see how many people miss
and worry about Tom's recent hospital stay to realize how many people really
appreciate the help of those who will always know more than us newbies!
HOWEVER, since my chosen interest is cw, I will say look out guys because
one of these days I WILL hit 35 wpm head copy!!!!!!!!!!!....of course if the
radio doesn't work I'll have to call Gary...but what the heck - it's a buzy
world!
73 Tim NZ7C