[TenTec] Firmware upgrade Pegasus

George, W5YR w5yr at att.net
Mon Feb 24 22:47:32 EST 2003

There may be a slight hitch here in that XP allows a program to be run in a
compatibility mode, such as W95, but XP itself cannot, as far as I have
found, be configured to operate as if it were simulating W95. The
compatibility mode evidently disables those features of XP which would
otherwise prevent a given application from running and replaces them with
the required W95, for example, features that are involved.

This is really a Catch-22 when it comes to trying to install a program if
the installer is "smart" enough to detect the OS and decides that the
program won't run under that OS and then refuses to install it. I tried
running the install program in compatibility mode, but you cannot invoke
that mode on any program that isn't already installed!

But, on the plus side, it does enable a lot of older software to see a bit
longer useful life. My experience is limited to XP Pro - I do not know if XP
Home is the same or not.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"