[TenTec] Pegasus software and operation

Foncey foncey at starband.net
Wed Feb 26 13:22:26 EST 2003

I have been trying for 4 months to get a new Pegasus to work with a Dell
Inspiron 2600 laptop running under XP Home.  Problem has always been no
meter and immediate shut down on transmit; receive, freq. change, etc. and
other controls are fine.  First I tried it with the factory recommended
Belkin F5U103 USB to serial adaptor; no change in problems.  Lately I've
bought a Mobility Electronics EZ 1000 docking station which gives me a
serial port so I can hook up the Pegasus serial to serial.  Pegasus has been
back to the factory twice and is ok, they say.  In the meantime I'm using a
Jupiter loaner and testing software in Pegasus emulation mode.  I've tried
the original software, TenTec's update, and have downloaded and tried a
outside software provider.  Have emailed another software provider asking if
I could have their program, which sounds good, to try and buy or return.
I've already spent about $200 in shipping and other costs and don't want to
spend anymore up front until I'm sure something works. So far, the outside
software shuts down the whole thing, as does TenTec's XP update, and the
older software system may or may not work; can't tell if it remains in the
emulation mode or drops back into regular Jupiter operation.  Does the
Jupiter screen continue to show the Emulation mode screen all the time it is
in that mode or after it switches does the screen return to the normal
Jupiter screen?  Has anyone else had these problems?  Anyone have any ideas?
This is my first new station in 25 years -- sure would be nice if it worked.
Let me add, TenTec has been very helpful and cooperative but they've had no
success so far.  hanks in advance.  Foncey NØFT.  foncey at starband.net