[TenTec] Argonaut V Suggestions

edkess at pa.net edkess@pa.net
Fri Jan 10 03:44:41 EST 2003

Good Evening Folks,

I'm the happy owner of an Argonaut V.  There are, however, a few
things that I would suggest to Ten Tec for future changes if
possible.

First, change the squelch to an RF gain control, or at least make it
possible to toggle between the two.  Except for 10m FM, how often do
we need a squelch anyway?  The RF gain control would definitely help
with strong signal handling and with noise control.

Second, give us control of the AGC.  During rough band conditions the
SSB AGC hangs too long and and many of us prefer a slower AGC for
normal CW operations.

Third, if possible, give us some way to switch the meter into
reflected mode or SWR mode permanently.  It is much more important to
me to monitor reflected/SWR than power output.

Fourth, since DSP is already there, how difficult would it be to
include a notch filter?

Finally, nock $10 off the sale price and don't send the cheap mic.
with the rig.  I had to essentially rebuild mine to make it work from
the start.  The rig works much better with my higher quality mic.

These are intended to be gentle criticisms and suggestions for
improvement.  I'm a Ten Tec fan for two reasons:  Ten Tec's radio
performance and Ten Tec's excellent technical service/support.
Thanks, guys.

Ed
AA3SJ