[TenTec] Re Microphones--one more thing

Barry N1EU n1eu@yahoo.com
Tue Jan 14 16:29:38 EST 2003

A couple of comments about microphones.  If someone
just wants to go out and buy a mic and plug it into
the Omni VI (or just about any TT rig), you really
can't go wrong with a TT 705 mic.  Over the years,
I've found them to sound consistently good and punchy,
yet smooth.

I would just be a wee bit cautious with the hi fi
mics.  They often need some equalization to really
sound fb.  Several guys checked into the TT net with
the new Studio One and the received response curves I
ran indicate they could benefit by about +10dB of EQ
in the 1000-2500hz range. Otherwise, they sound a bit
warm.  Many of the newer rigs have some provision for
xmit audio EQ, but not the Omni VI or older rigs.

YMMV - peoples voices are different and rigs also
vary.

73,

Barry N1EU
www.albany.net/~bg