[TenTec] Truth in Lending!!

w2fca at cs.com w2fca@cs.com
Wed Jan 15 12:32:49 EST 2003

Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com> wrote:

>And don't you have to
>ask yourself why these imported radios have dropped so
>much in price recently? Is it only the Dollar to Yen
>ratio driving it, or is it because of slow sales, or
>some combination of those factors?

There is also a marketing concept that is called something like "Collect the cream" sales. You start out with a higher price knowing that there are some who will buy the latest and greatest even if the cost is higher just so they can have it. Later, the price gets dropped to enter the second tier of buyers. The early buyers often don't care that the price dropped, because they feel that they've had the use of it for all that time.
If you think the dropping price of some transceivers is steep, I remember years (and years) ago I had a boss who spent 250 bucks on one of the first LED watches. My 50 dollar Gruen worked just fine but as he said, his watch was cool. Three years later they were being given away.

Frank
W2FCA