[TenTec] Omni VI RS-232 interface...

Dave Kamp, KW0D kw0d@netexpress.net
Tue Jan 21 02:39:31 EST 2003

Hey All!

Perplexing problem on my VI/Opt1...

Not long after I got it, I tried using rig-control software, and just
couldn't get it to work.  I reviewed my owner's manual, tried a few other
settings, and still no joy.  Baffled, I set it aside for another day.

Another day came around about six months later.  I used different software,
and a different cable, and again, I couldn't make it work.  Baffled, I set
it aside for another day.

A year later (three nights ago), I put together a remote-VFO with a 5v
encoder, some wire, and a DB-25 connector.  What seemed to be very simple
turned out NOT to work.  Baffled, I took out the Omni VI's owner's manual
and looked to see if there was some software setting necessary to make the
encoder-VFO feature work.  Didn't see a darned thing.  I made a test
simulator with a DB25 jack, a 5v supply, and some LEDs, The encoder worked
perfectly.  Baffled, I set it aside and went to bed.

So three times I've been baffled by this control port... and I'm wondering...

...mebbie there's something wrong with the PORT???

Any suggestions?

DK  :-)