[TenTec] Microphones

WILLIAM MANSEY; WA2PVK res0wsci at verizon.net
Wed Jan 22 13:40:45 EST 2003

I have been using a Heil HM-10 dual element microphone with my Jupiter and
it has been fantastic.  One thing to keep in mind, however, is that the Heil
Microphones are designed to be "close talked" at a distance of only an inch
or two.  It would seem that many people are more used to talking relatively
softly and/or further away from their microphones.  It is not necessary to
use a mic. preamp with the Heil.  Just speak firmly and directly into the
mic.  I have had NO problem driving the Jupiter to full output with the
HM-10.  I have also had excellent reports of readability as well.  The DX
element does exactly what the advertizing says.  I have gotten through quite
a few pileups to make DX contacts even though I am only running 100 watts to
a small vertical antenna.  73, Bill

---