[TenTec] Be Careful Updating

George, W5YR w5yr at att.net
Sun Jan 26 21:08:26 EST 2003

Since the Jupiter is per Ten Tec a "software defined radio" why cannot
they merely send you a diskette or CD or download a file containing
the original firmware for your Jupiter?

The exact firmware contents may differ from one set to the next due to
minor hardware component tolerances, but knowing the serial number, I
would expect that they would be able to reconstruct the same file they
placed in the firmware at manufacture so that you could download  it
and get your Jupiter back to original form. That would avoid you
having to return the set to the factory where they will, in all
likelihood, simply do the same thing.

I must be missing a point - perhaps that the firmware is considered
trade secret and not available for distribution, even to a customer?

I know that my Kachina - which I bought while Doug Smith, its
designer, was still with them, used a configuration file which was
generated in final assembly and test that contained all the numeric
data that defined varactor settings, etc unique to that particular
radio, plus the control code, etc. The fellow to whom I traded the
Kachina had to return it to the factory where they found the
configuration file was corrupted. They restored it and returned the
radio with a copy of the correct file on a floppy so that he could
take care of any recurrence of the problem.

Interesting, this interplay between the hardware and software worlds
in today's radios.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
K2 #489  IC-765 #2349 IC-756 PRO  #2121 IC-756 PRO2 #3235