[TenTec] Disparaging Corsairs, Pro II, etc hi hi

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw at fyi.net
Thu Jan 30 22:11:12 EST 2003

The era of the TS-930S coincided with the Corsair I.

I used to put the 930 and a Corsair on the air, side by side, listening to
the same signal, sharing the antenna with a switch, and demonstrated how
superior the Corsair was in receiving to the 930.  (This was back in the
days when I worked at a local store, now closed, and TenTec had a dealer
network).  Heck, we'd do the same thing with a Kenwood 930 & the Argosy (and
later Argosy II) and you wouldn't belive how close they were.  And this was
done without any additional filters installed in any of the rigs!  The
Argosy had a better receiver than the 430, based on the same side-by-side
comparison, and if you asked for an honest signal report on the air between
the 430 & Argosy, at most the (50 W) Argosy was only an S unit or so below
the 430's (100W) signal.

And 4 times out of 5, if they bought a rig, they bought the Kenwood or the
ICOM 745 or 751 for the bells & whistles.

73, ron wn3vaw

'Never attribute to malice that which is adequately
  explained by stupidity.' --Hanlon's Razor