[TenTec] Argonaut V Needs an RF Gain Control

edkess at pa.net edkess at pa.net
Wed Jan 29 21:15:41 EST 2003

Good Evening,

I have to agree with all the recent posts about the Argonaut V.  It
is a fine radio and one that I'm planning to keep on my operating
table.

During the weekend I did some listening comparisons on the CQWW 160m
Contest, comparing my Omni V, FT817 and the Argonaut V.

Nothing comes close to the Omni V (with the exception of my K2).
Both the Argo V and the FT817 had similar problems.  They were
overwhelmed by all the huge signals so close together.  Both were
useable; neither displayed receiver desensing because of poor AGC
functioning.  However, because the FT817 had RF gain control, I could
manage the huge signals better with that rig.

An RF gain control in the Argonaut V would make a very good radio
much better.

73
Ed AA3SJ